Tuesday, November 06, 2007

My Sewing Class

Since Azrai got his mountain bike and plans to kick start his new hobby, I've decided to revive MY hobby. Sometime in July, I've purchased a sewing machine. It comes with 12 months free sewing classes, anytime, seven days a week. I went to a few classes. They thought me how to do free hand embroidery with the machine. I got the trainer to demonstrate and I did the rest a home.

Then, I had a miscarriage, this and that; my sewing machine sat at a corner collecting dust. I bought August project which is baju kurung which I didn't collect until last Sunday. I've been sneaking some time to do the baju kurung. I went to the class on Monday and Ain, the trainer showed me how to take measurements. Next, to draw the pattern on paper, cut it out and transfer it to the cloth. Today, I finished cutting the cloth and had to sew the edges with a special machine that trims the edges off the cloth.

Throughout these two days, Ain the trainer is the person who's in charged of me and my project. I don't know why and how the selection process was made but she seems reluctant to work with me which made it rather difficult for me to warm up to her. Everytime I finish something and call for her to check on my work, she'd look up from whatever thing she's working on and gave me that dark, frumpy look. Then, she'd take her time to put aside her needlework, and seems to drag her feet to come to my aid.

The point is, it's been a long time since I have to work with somebody who's reluctant to work with me. It ruffled my confidence a bit. I take it that I'm a people person and I can get along with people quite easily. Granted that not everybody will love me but I'm generally well-liked. When I'm in this situation, it made me feel uncomfortable. What more, she's the teacher and I'm the student. I forgot how shitty it feels when someone does not welcome your company.

Nevertheless, I started the project and whether you like me or not, I'm going to see it to the end. I gave her the benefit of a doubt that maybe she got off on the wrong side of the bed or she's by nature a frumpy, grumpy person. But then again, I saw her joking and laughing with the other students and trainers. So, what is it about me that gets her nerves up? I'm a pretty independent student. I know how to handle the machine. Ah heck! Who cares! At the end of the day, I'm the paying customer and she's paid to teach me whether she likes it or not. I have patience... and I can be thick skin to ignore her attitude towards me. Maybe she needs time to warm up to people. I have time... I can wait...

No comments: