Thursday, December 07, 2006

Harassment

I dread the day I laid eyes on the tenant from hell... Not only he gave us a tough time as a tenant, he gave us a tough time to evict him from our property and worst, he harassed us with nasty, threatening smses demanding his utility deposit back when he didn't even pay for the utility bills throughout his tenancy in our property.
I was upset of course when I received the smses. He even hinted that he's part of a group and we do not want to mess with him. We didn't want to encourage the smses so we did what we thought was best; we lodged a police report as a precautionary measure should anything happen to us. I guess I've been watching too many 'Gerak Khas' series and was very idealistic about the police coming to my rescue. I don't even want to go into how I was passed around between Puchong police station and Putrajaya police station before they decide who would want to take my case. I can strike "Mesra" and "Cepat" from the police force motto.
When the police eventually decided which station should investigate my case, I was still optimistic that they can be "Betul" and do the right thing. I provided them with all the proof and whatever documents I have on this person. However, I wasn't blown to pieces like Altantuya nor do I have any wish to end up like that so nothing happened.
I would have actually let this slide if not for recent calls and nastier smses from the same person after a couple of weeks since we lodged the report. Since, I don't want to be beaten up and my life and the lives of my loved ones are worth more than what this person is asking for, we let him get his way.
Now, I'm not only upset with the tenant from hell, I'm disillusioned with our police force. If they can't protect citizens like me, then, who else can I turn to? Would they actually do something about it if something really bad happened to me? Is "react" the key word instead of "respond"?

No comments: